Friday, October 8, 2010

Hi, My Name Is

I almost feel like it's my first time blogging! I'm so excited to write, but I have no idea where to begin! Although, unlike a first-time blogger, I know how addicting this can be... but I don't mean addicting in a bad way. Sounds crazy, but this is like therapy :) Almost two months without therapy - not good. Plus, almost two months without posting photos for Mo and Do - even worse ;)

It's been a busy last two months... I just finished coaching our schools boys and girls swim teams, who rock! Last fall I thought our lives couldn't get any busier, with coaching, working, having two babies at home, and driving to Charleston every night to hang with Samuel. Well, turns out I was wrong... this year was a lot easier mentally - I wasn't as worried about losing Samuel, but physically much more difficult - with Samuel home I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours of sleep in a row, and me coaching meant DB had all three babies by himself quite a bit during practices and meets. But, I'm married to an awesome man who not only understands how great coaching is, and how much I love it, but encourages me to keep doing it and makes sure we work out the details. Plus, we have good friends who were able to help out in a pinch :) All that said, the kids rocked the state meet and both teams finished as State Runner Up!

Enough excuses for my lack of blogging - and on to the good stuff! Like most homes of 18-month olds, things change daily around here... and we get change times three. I'll save all of the medical ups and downs for the next post... and lots of other thing too... :) There is so much to share I'm just going to have to start with today... plus, it's going to take me some serious time to pare down the photos from the last two months... ha ha!

Today, Rachel and I took George and Olivia to the park! My thoughts on the way there...

- Wow, have they grown...

- I swear Olivia looks like she's 3...

- George, please don't sweat to death (some chilly weather snuck up on us and the only pants that fit around his waist and are long enough for George are completely lined - comfy, but way too warm for today)...

- I miss Samuel, I wish he could come to the park...

- I can't believe they're already 18 months old...

- It's amazing how much you can love three little people...

- Darn, I didn't bring the wagon... oh, wait, they want to walk everywhere now :)

Upon our arrival, George made sure we all understood how fascinating wood chips can be!

Olivia, on the other hand, paid special attention to the leaf blower - the "stink eye" followed the poor guy everywhere until he was finished!

I think George had fun :) He was running and laughing like crazy!

Bounce! George was doing the work, and Olivia was along for the ride, but they both loved it. Two months ago they could barely walk on this thing without falling down :)

Every time I pointed the camera in her direction, Olivia managed to stop smiling... until this... no one can run, run, run, in pink sparkly shoes and not smile!

Our inspector made sure we knew exactly what was stuck between the slats... go figure, more wood chips.

They both loved the swings :)

And of course, who doesn't love snack?!

Knock, knock!

One half smile, one half funny face :)

Smelling the flowers - I love that crinkled nose.

Smelling, and picking the flowers...

... and very upset when she couldn't put them back together :)


Samuel had a busy day too! I only caught a little piece on film, but as you can see, he's doing great!

Enjoying some outside time...

... which is even better with a giant bouncy ball!

Completely not posed! I walked in and found him reading a book! Samuel is still doing the scoot on his back thing to get where he wants to go... love that he scooted to a book :)

Also not posed... but do not love that he likes to play with his HME. It's the thing that is supposed to attach to his trache to provide the heat/moisture exchange and a place to connect his extra oxygen (see previous photo). Samuel!

Well, will you look at that... my finger fits right inside this thing!

Wait a second - my thumb fits too!

Woo Hoo! Fun, but awfully germy...

No worries NICU friends, the 5-second rule only applies to food in our house... I did replace the HME with another one and wiped his hand down :) For non-hospital folks, it would be like sticking your thumb into your nose - it's where all the yumminess goes that Samuel coughs up - yuck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Love you all & MISSED the blog! They are so friggin big! Samuel is a little man! And O - so tall! And George.. Well just put him on a spoon cause I'm gonna eat him up. See you all soon. Love Aunt Brooke

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, look how tall Olivia is!!

Karen Wright said...

Glad you had a minute to update, we missed them terribly! Yes i agree, Olivia is too tall! The kids all look so healthy, they're doing really well. Glad to hear you're still coaching, you definatley need to keep yourself sane by using the adult brain! Keep well,
Karen & Ken Wright
Richmond BC

Anonymous said...

Your dad & I were Phi Sig brothers when he was at Utah. I have a daughter who is the mom of multiple girls. They will be 2 on New Year's Day. They live in Japan. Dad is a pilot currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have sent your link to my Anna. I hope that is okay; Verne sent it to me today. I just found him on FB. I haven't seen him in forty years. I did travel with a couple carloads of Phi Sigs to Scottsdale for a game against ASU. I think we stayed at Verne's grandparents place. Long time ago. Best Wishes the the Byrne Family.